November 10, 2009

Time for a Mental Health Day

I can hear the soles of my shoes scraping the pavement. My eyelids weigh down relentlessly as I struggle to focus through the eyelash fog. My muscles ache from hunching tensely over a stack of books and I can’t remember a time my head wasn’t throbbing with a dull, empty ache.

I am burnt out. I need a break.

This weekend, I am taking a mental health day.

I don’t care what comes up in the meantime. Even if Hugh Jackman comes pounding down my door, ripping off his shirt, telling me he can’t live without me, I will not budge. I’m going to stay in bed, turn off my phone, watch movies, order takeout and not feel bad about it.

Try it. If anyone puts you on a guilt trip, tap into the H1N1 hysteria – relaxation boosts your immune system making you less susceptible to illness (so really, you're just being a good, responsible citizen). If that doesn’t work, check out these tips for calling in sick from wikiHow.


And of course, if all else fails, just turn off your phone and blame the bus strike.

3 comments:

Soha said...

Today was definitely my mental health day. I woke up early to get the day started and just totally crashed within half an hour haha. It definitely makes a difference :). Good luck!

AdamFine said...

I have mental health days too...I call them 'Sunday.'

Sonya Gilpin said...

Haha, thanks Adam - unfortunately though, sometimes duty calls (in my case, almost non-stop right now) so I don't always get that chance.

I am, however, proud to report that this week I had a real Sunday :D

It was awesome.

Post a Comment